non-EB, but automotive

From: Jeremy Gottshall <j_gottshall_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2002 06:39:01 -0800 (PST)

Sorry, off topic.
 I'm in Germany and have an '83 VW golf I bought for
$450 (I know) that isn't running worth a crap. Pretty
much base model transportation: 4 banger, 4 speed,
manual choke, etc.
 Anyway, it runs really rough almost all of the time,
almost like it's missing or something, and it will die
unless I leave the choke pulled out at least half way.
Today it wouldn't even start at all; turns over but
doesn't even come close to firing up. Last time this
happened (not starting) I ignored it for a while, then
one day it just cranked right up.
 I bought it about three months ago, and it ran o.k.
at the time, but then it started acting up. I did a
tune up (plugs, wires, cap, rotor) and it ran fine
again. It wasn't two days later started acting up
AGAIN. I'm at a loss. I don't want to sink a lot of
money into it; I kinda like to at least get it running
well enough to sell it.
 Thanks for listening. Any help would be appreciated.
I'd rather be working on my '71 instead, but the
Atlantic ocean's kinda in my way.
 -Jeremy