Engine stumbling problem

From: Anthony Hernandez <ANTHONYH_at_jwce.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2002 08:31:36 -0800

The Bronco's been sitting for a long time. This past weekend I drove it
about 50 miles after it sat for about 4 months. It developed an off idle
stumble for the last mile of driving. I let the engine cool and then
decided to try and see what the problem was but the engine wouldn't start.
The battery died. I had recharged the battery a few times while it was
stationary because I would start the truck occasionally while it was
immobile.

So anyway, I bought a new Optima clone battery from Kragen and the stumble
went away. Could a bad battery cause an off idle stumble? I always thought
that the alternator would keep it running once it was started? I drove it
for about 20 miles after replacing the battery and it didn't do it. I hope
the Pertronix isn't going out...

Tony