License To Wheel (Was:Moab/utah Closings)

From: Brett Kinch <kinchx4_at_earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2002 09:36:20 -0700

  I agree....More than one cop , however. There can be a crowd of a thousand
at Dump Bump and Potato Salad Hill at Easter Jeep Safari Week; sometimes
more.....
  It's outa hand in a big way. Lots of drunken idiots throwing beer cans and
bottles everywhere, starting fights, and lit up loose cannons behind the
wheel. It's more of a crowd control thing than it is a policing. It's alot
like a concert event.
  I think the best thing to do is to Have the Red Rock 4 Wheelers work in
conjuntion with the Moab Police Department during EJS Week, to lease out
both locations and have them fenced off with an admission charge at the
gate.This would allow them to pay for controlled parking, crowd control, and
litter clean up. Moreover, the Police can monitor the gates and inner areas
to convisgate alchohol, and arrest the disorderly. It's these two locations
that are easily accessible by drunken onlookers with nothing better to do,
and they need to be monitored.
   It's always the ignorant that mess things up for the aware. I think there
needs to be a big change in the way the BLM runs its' public lands for all
sorts of use Nation Wide. I believe a great way to teach the ignorant about
Use is to make a Mandatory OHV and Public Land Use License for Nation Wide
Public Land. Everything needs to be on the same page to eliminate hipocracy.
We all need a fishing license, no? They hand out booklets on what is fair
game and limits on fishing. I think there should be a test so at least
everyone will have to actually read the booklet before one can get a
license. I think this should carry over into a New OHV and Public Land Use
license. By giving out handbooks and having a short mandatory test before
one can get a License to Wheel, it will far reduce the ignorance and
offenders of Public Land. The cost of getting a license and renewing every
year should pay for itself, as well as help offset the cost for OHV Rangers
to write big fat citations to offenders of the land or people without a
license. Big offenses can revoke a license for a year or for life depending
on severity.
Jusy my thoughts on a possible solution to ignorance.
btw, wouldn't an OHV Ranger be a kick butt job? Wheel all day and protect
the trails from idiots.
Brett Kinch
Rock-Quip
www.rock-quip.rockcrawler.com