RE: WH Dana 20 Extreme Duty output shaft

From: David Routhier <david_r_at_corp.earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2002 15:18:01 -0800

$200 for a twinstick. That's a whole lot less than replacing it with an
Atlas. What's the purpose of the rest of the parts you are adding in there?
Trying to get them on an even playing field doesn't really gain anything.
What are you planning on doing with your Atlas?
Running in mud? No advantage and a huge disadvantage unless you have the
horsepower (read money spent elsewhere) to turn your tires in hi-range.
Advantage: Dana
Running in the sand? See above. Advantage: Dana
Running in the desert? Most of the time, hi range suffices. When needed, I
have never wished I could go slower and have been happy with the d-20.
Advantage: Dana
Driving most of the trails in my area (So Cal.) Dana has never balked.
It's already installed and works. Advantage: Dana.
Then again, I will be the first to admit that I don't enjoy rock crawling
for miles. I find it tedious and would rather see some terrain than the
same old 1/4 mile of rocks all day long. I also don't like going out
wheeling with the assumption I am going to break something.
You are comparing apples and oranges. There just isn't a whole lot that the
Atlas is more suited for. I will absolutely agree that it is better to rock
crawl with the 4:1 and it is cheaper to get the Atlas than to do the full
upgrade on the d-20. Then again, with most things in life, it is cheaper to
buy a new one than to upgrade the old one.

BTW, $500 *is* a crapload of money to pay for an output shaft ; )