Off Road for Hope Report

From: Stephen Urban <sfu_at_adelphia.net>
Date: Fri, 08 Feb 2002 20:31:46 -0800

I went to the Muscular Dystrophy event "Off Road for Hope" this last
weekend at Ocotillo Wells. Had a good time even though it started bad.
Right after I arrived on Friday I buried the RV. I was stuck GOOD!!
After 2 hours of digging I had moved about 4 feet. A couple came over
and offered to try to pull me out with their Jeep but needless to say
that didn't work. Then they got a friend with a big truck and a PTO
winch. That got me out but it still took an hour. Had to drag me back
out of where I was and across the road till I was stuck on the other
side so that they could then winch me from the front to get me on the
road and facing the correct way. The guy that pulled me out was from
CORVA (CA Off Road Vehicle Association), so I am the newest life member
they have.

By then it was late, and since I didn't know where anyone I knew was
camped we stayed with the couple that helped us out. It's a small world
I guess because while I was talking to the wife I found out that I knew
her sister. I met her on the last "Hi Desert Roundup" while we were
running "Pumpkin Eater". She is a competitor in the Rock Crawling
competitions. She is sponsored by the company that makes the aluminum
jeep bodies. JP something or other. We are supposed to go out
Presidents Day weekend and watch her run the Women's Rock Crawling Event
in Johnson Valley.

Her sister came out on Sunday for a little competition they had in
conjunction with the event. She smoked everyone, running the course in
51 seconds!!!. Tiger took his Bronco through. His time was a little
over 5 minutes, but that included a tire change. Some idiot in a full
size Blazer tried it but he ended up being winched off the course. He
looked like he didn't even have a front locker!!!!

Friday night Dopey (our dog) wandered off and we almost didn't get her
back. Turns out the rangers picked her up and were gonna take her to
the pound but this family got her from them instead. At the raffle on
Saturday the family made an announcement about her and we got her back.
If we hadn't been there they were gonna keep her, boy were his kids
disappointed when I showed up.

I won three times during the raffle. The first time was a set of PIAA
lights and some small stuff. While I was signing the paperwork for them
I heard what I thought was one of my numbers. Turns out they called the
very next number on my set of tickets. This time it was a set of
Skyjacker shocks & steering stabilizer, $25 gift certificate from
DayStar and some misc stuff. Then later I won again!! A set of (4)
35x12.50x15 BFG MT's. All in all it was almost $1000 worth of stuff.
The thing is I had just upgraded my Big O's to 35's the day before I
went on the run. I ended up selling the BFG's for $400 to a guy that
was sitting in front off me. That made his day cuz he really needed
tires and it basically paid for what I spent when I upgraded mine. They
had over $65K in prizes for the event. My tires weren't even one of the
grand prizes.

Since I had just changed my tires I only went on a moderate run. Just
wanted to check out how they fit when I flexed. The Bronco sponsered
run already had over 50 entries when I went to sign up. I didn't feel
like wheelin behind that many vehicles so I went on the "Whole Enchilada
run". This goes through a squeeze and then down "Heart Attack Hill", a
steep down hill with a couple of holes that your tires drop into and
make you feel like you're gonna go end over end. One girl said she
almost peed her pants when her boyfriend went down. After everyone made
it down the trail leader asked if anyone wanted to go back up it. I
said sure and was the first one. No problem at all. There was a guy
there that writes trail guides (Fun Treks). He is doing one on SoCal
trails and was taking pics for it, so maybe I will be in his book.
After I went up a Cherokee and a Land Cruiser came up, but none of the
Jeeps would.

Later on a guy in a Jeep passed thru our group while we were stopped
helping a motorcyclist that crashed and burned. When we started out
again we found him rolled over. He had gotten stupid going up this
waterfall and got sideways then rolled. No damage except to his pride.
Everyone else just drove right up it after we got him out of the way.

I HIGHLY recommend this event to everyone. There are lots of runs and
they are of varying difficulty so there is something for everyone. The
event was very well organized, easy to get to and had a GREAT set of
raffle prizes.

Sorry I didn't get to hook up with more Bronco people while I was there,
but I will be attending "Bronco Daze" in April.

Later
Steve Urban
EBR#0692
CA4WDC#3576
NRA & CRPA Life Member
29 Palms, CA
"sfu_at_adelphia.net" <mailto:sfu_at_adelphia.net>