Re: Tire rack hinge?

From: Stephen Urban <sfu_at_adelphia.net>
Date: Sat, 09 Feb 2002 21:44:49 -0800

When I had a tire carrier added to my custom bumper they used a piece of
1 3/4" hydraulic cylinder rod as the pivot. A hole was cut thru my
bumper and it was welded top and bottom. This is a very tough piece of
metal. The carrier is mounted to it by a metal tube, that is just
barely bigger in diameter then the rod, which fits over it. There is a
zerk fitting to keep it lubed. It carries the weight of a 35" tire and
two full gas cans and even with out bearings it opens smoothly.

Steve Urban
EBR#0692
CA4WDC#3576
NRA & CRPA Life Member
29 Palms, CA
"sfu_at_adelphia.net" <mailto:sfu_at_adelphia.net>