RE: Drum brakes locking up...

From: Scott and Teresa <JSG4dFan_at_Charter.net>
Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2002 20:18:21 -0600

Drew,

    I have had drums act that way when the wheel cylinders are leaking
(slightly, in my case). I suppose one could theorize that a tiny bit of
trapped air in the cylinder created by the small leak rapidly heats and
expands under braking pressure, causing the drum to lock. Then, after a
stop or two, you've forced the air out of the same path as the leak, and the
problem goes away.

Flame-meisters note that the above is a theory, and not mine at that... :)

J. Scott Gladden
Uncut 70 model Delivery Wagon
302, 30 x 9.50's, 3 on the tree, 4 wheel drums,
power nothing, and a bear to drive...
but I can't do without it!
Scottsboro, Alabama

"There is a fine line between hobby and mental illness"
               ------ Dave Barry