Re: '85 HO and Clutch Linkage

From: rjlougee <rjlougee_at_prodigy.net>
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2002 14:54:54 -0700

Matt, there used to be a write up on Bronco.com about doing this exact
thing. The newer blocks don't have that hole in them for the clutch
linkage. It can be done by you, just take your time with the drilling
and measurements to make sure you don't hit a water jacket in there.

Here's what you do:
1. Install the bellhousing and get it tight.
2. Take the clutch bracket that bolts up to the block/bellhousing and
bolt it up to the rear bolt.
3. Mark where the front bolt should be in the block. You may have to
grind the area smooth to facilitate marking and drilling.
4. Drill and tap the appropriate sized hole in the block. I think it's
1/2" coarse thread.
5. You're in business.

I did this to my 351W block and it worked fine for a couple of years,
till I went with the ZF and hydraulic clutch. You could also get
another bellhousing designed for an external slave cylinder and convert
to a hydraulic clutch, but that's a lot more work than the one hole.
Joe