Rubicon No More? Fight Of Our Lives!!!

From: John Foottit <foottdc9_at_erau.edu>
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2002 22:50:13 -0700

from pirates 4x4
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=31852 I don't
know any more than this right now, I'll forward more info as I get it.

Rubicon No More? Fight Of Our Lives!!!
Listen up folks, Just got this from Don Klusman, This is a direct attack (as
far as I can tell) at closing the Rubicon and MANY other trails in Eldorado
National Forest. We need to spread the word NOW! We thought we had a fight
with the gate, this is 100 times bigger! That means EVERY SINGLE one of us
have to do SOMETHING NOW!!! Don't wait until they CLOSE all of our trails to
speak up. Write letters, make phone calls, send money, WHATEVER you can do
to help, PLEASE do. I will continue to keep everyone posted as I am
informed.
Scott Casagrande

quote:

A lawsuit has been filed suing the Eldorado National Forest. See press
release below. I have already asked for a copy of the suit.

Thanks
Don Klusman

SACRAMENTO - CENTER FOR SIERRA NEVADA CONSERVATION
CENTER FOR BIOLOGICAL DIVERSITY
CALIFORNIA WILDERNESS COALITION
NEWS RELEASE: For Immediate Release: Monday, February 11, 2002

Contact:
Karen Schambach, Center for Sierra Nevada Conservation, 530-333-1106 or
530-305-0503 (cell);
Daniel R. Patterson, Center for Biological Diversity, 909-659-6053 x 306,
520-909-2159
Keith Hammond, California Wilderness Coalition, 530-758-0380

PUBLIC LAND MANAGERS SUED: Feds Ignoring Off-Road Vehicle Laws; results in
damage to soils and wildlife.

SACRAMENTO - A trio of conservation organizations filed a lawsuit Friday
charging that Eldorado National Forest officials have failed to obey laws
for managing off-road vehicles on the 786,000 acre Sierra Nevada forest
between Sacramento and Lake Tahoe. As a result, ORV use off designated roads
and trails is uncontrolled and causing widespread damage to soils, wildlife,
and vegetation.

Eldorado County-based Center for Sierra Nevada Conservation (CSNC) and
co-plaintiffs Center for Biological Diversity (CBD) and California
Wilderness Coalition (CWC) charge in a lawsuit filed on Friday that the
Eldorado's Off-Road Vehicle Plan failed to analyze the effects of ORV use on
the forest. It also charges the Forest with violations of the National
Environmental Policy Act (NEPA) and the National Forest Management Act
(NFMA). The suit also challenges the Rock Creek ORV area decision, adopted
in 1999, saying it failed to adequately address impacts to soils and
wildlife, including the declining Pacific deer herd and California spotted
owls.

According to Karen Schambach, President of the Center for Sierra Nevada
Conservation, lack of the analysis renders the Forest Service unable to
restrict ORV use on the Forest. "In lieu of enforceable Forest Orders, the
Eldorado relies on signs that are routinely vandalized. Their law
enforcement officers can't cite riders going off designated routes; the
riders know this, and the irresponsible ones are taking full advantage of
the situation. You can go almost anywhere on that forest and see significant
damage."

The Eldorado's Land Management Plan, adopted in 1989, restricts ORV use to a
designated route system, but failed to analyze the impacts of the route
designations to soils, fish and wildlife and other recreationists. Appeals
of that decision to the Forest Service Washington DC office resulted in an
order to the Eldorado to complete analysis of their trail plan by May 1997.
The Eldorado has not initiated those studies, nor even indicated that it
intends to do so.

Daniel R. Patterson, Ecologist with the Center for Biological Diversity
said, "The Eldorado Supervisor John Berry can't continue to dodge his
responsibilities for limiting off-road vehicle harm. To protect the
public-interest, we will vigorously pursue full compliance of NEPA and all
other applicable conservation laws."

A copy of the lawsuit is available upon request.

*** CSNC / CBD / CWC ***

For more information, contact:
Daniel R. Patterson
Ecologist